Wednesday 22 February 2012

Other lampshades that I have known

Just reviewing my lampshade 'collection'! Of course the joy of making your own things is that sometimes they turn out just how you want them to.  So our home has many lampshades that I have made using vintage fabric.

This one resides on our landing -  I love the mix of colours (not everyone's taste I know - Dom would rather that taupe again I think!)

I think that the one above is one of the first that I made and I was pleased with the result - some edible 50s fabric which has a jolly mix of colours.

Next we have one that lives on an old standard lamp base in our front room - lovely Mary White designed fabric again from the 50s (I have some of this left that I am going to make a purse  this very day!)


1950s David Whitehead fabric (it comes in several colour variations so I had to think hard about which one to use) .

In situ in my sewing room - though I am thinking of changing it to a patchwork embroidered one.....


There are also several strung along the hallway and landings - this is another 50s botanical print

 Ah, another Mary White fabric - just lovely designs I think.  I went on about my old chaise longue on Flickr but suffice to say I waited many, many years for the right fabric to be found (and the cheapest upholsterer - turned out to be just around the corner!) for this to be rejuvenated.  Lampshade to match!!

The usual mix of stuff - as is the case in every room



I will end with another picture of the 50s Hertzberger fabric lampshade.


  I only use my own photos for this blog and things that I have bought over many, many years - vintage is not a sudden passing trend for me!


10 comments:

  1. These are ever so inspiring! I have some barkcloth I found in a charity shop that I haven't been able to chop up yet, nothing has seemed the right project, but I think this is it! I wondered if you'd mind saying if you glue the fabric on to existing shades or stretched it over a frame? thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have tried all sorts of way and the Beatrix Potter on a previous posting was made by gluing fabric over an existing shade. These were made using a kit so a little bit pricey but still quite cheap and you get exactly what you want. I used to be very fearful of chopping up fabric - my feeling now is that if you don't it will just remain that way forever and it was built to be used! I hope that it goes well for you

      Delete
  2. Your fifties fabric collection is fantastic Jenny! I love the Hertzberger best and I have a cushion in the same fabric as the first lampshade you made.
    25 years ago you could pick up fabrics like this for 20p at jumble sales now they cost a fortune on ebay...hmm hindsight, you could just smack it in the chops with a fish some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you - your comment made me roar with laughter. These are the sort of fabrics that my mother would have grimaced at - my daughter Bronte is quite fond of clothes from the 1980s...what the heck is that all about! My turn to grimace

      Delete
  3. I keeping meaning to recover a lampshade - I have some fab barkcloth curtains that my mother made in the 1950's. Sadly, I am faced with my eternal refrain......where DID I put them!!!!!!!???????

    Your fabric is gorgeous - can't pick a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you will be surprised to read this but I too sometimes cannot find things...I spend an awful lot of time looking and never finding. Love to see the fabric - very special to make something that has 'been in the family' I think. Part of the reason that I now fervently use my fabrics is that when my mum died we found sooooo much stuff that had never been out of their packets/wrapping/bag...is hoarding genetic??????

      Delete
  4. Jenny, I'm convinced you upload that Hertzberger fabric just to taunt me! Have now got typist's cramp from commenting on all your latest posts and flickr pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho ho Mary - are you sure you don't have any tucked away???

      Delete
  5. Oh be still my beating heart, lots of lovely images
    Nicky
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely lovely 50's fabrics... my favourite era!! Cx

    ReplyDelete